Monday, August 31, 2009

What Would You Take?

This photo was taken tonight from the parking lot at the top of Pierce College. This is a very scary sight!

A friend of mine who lives in Rancho Palos Verdes, which was threatened last week by a fire, posted an email to our group asking "what would you take if you only had 10 minutes to get out of your home? If you had an hour?"

Interesting question. I can't honestly say that I would take much with me. I think I would take my computer, my software and a few photos if I only had 10 minutes. If I had an hour I would take a few clothes. Other than that, I think I would let everything else go. I think sometimes we get too attached to the "things" in our lives. I could certainly live with a lot fewer things in my life.

*note to whatever "powers that be" are listening - this is NOT an invitation to burn down or otherwise destroy my home or find some other way to take away my stuff*

Do we really need all the "stuff" we accumulate over our lifetimes? How many things do you have that you've never used/worn or only used/worn it once? I have several things I just HAD TO HAVE and I've never used it, or I've only used it once.

I can't imagine what it's like to stand there and watch (or watch on TV) your personal world disappear. I applaud those people who are interviewed after a disaster who say "we have our lives, that's the most important thing". My heart goes out to all those affected by these devastating fires and I salute all those who are putting their lives on the line to save other's lives and property.

No comments:

Post a Comment