Thursday, August 27, 2009

Candles In The Dark

I have an infinity mirror set up at home. It has posed a multitude of challenges trying to make good images. I originally set this up about 8? years ago when I was still shooting film - or I should say shooting film exclusively.

Challenges to this type of shooting:
Lighting - I don't have studio lights so I have to bring every lamp in the house to light the scene and still it's not enough. When I shot very slow to compensate for the light the color shift went very yellow or orange, which in this particular picture actually enhanced the look.

More lighting - I had to shoot at night to reduce the reflection in the front mirror (the two way mirror) and even then the spill over from the lighting on the objects between the mirrors caused a lot of reflection on the front mirror.

Space - this is set up on my dining room table. Not a lot of space to set up and move around.

I haven't really tried shooting this with a digital camera yet, mostly because I haven't had the time and because my dining room table is usually piled up with other projects. I really like the effects I can get with the mirrors and I have a lot of interesting ideas of playing with hiding things behind each other so they don't show in the primary face-on shot you see first so they become like little "Easter eggs" to find as you look more at what is in the photo.

If you're inspired to try something like this please let me know how it works out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment