Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lettuce Hope I Get Better At This!

I do pretty well when it comes to gardening but apparently I have a lot to learn about growing lettuce successfully. It appears that I have learned, quite thoroughly, how to kill it - next lesson! I got this great standing planter, the soil, compost and the plants for free when I went to a workshop in Long Beach a few weeks ago. I was very excited about growing my own salads.

The middle one in the top row might still make it, but it's touch and go right now. The one in the right corner looks to be doing quite well. Maybe because all the water seems to run to that end of the planter eventually. I probably should have tried to level it out a bit more when I notice that, but I didn't think of it.

I am taking this on as a challenge - I will grow edible lettuce - I WILL! I'll do some research and see what I'm doing wrong (or not doing at all) and probably buy some shade cloth. I heard the man tell someone else water daily and  full sun, but maybe he meant full Long Beach sun, not full ("furnace up to high" this week) San Fernando Valley sun.

I'll keep you posted - I know you want to know how this all turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment