Saturday, April 24, 2010

New York - Day 7 - Saturday

I got to see my first Broadway play today!!!! After standing in line for about an hour at the TKTS office in Times Square I got a ticket to see Chicago. I have seen the move, but not the live musical so I was really happy they had tickets. I've already seen about 1/2 of the big musicals that are still playing here when they came to L.A. - Phantom, Lion King, Wicked, Mama Mia (but would gladly have seen any one of them again if I hadn't be able to get something I hadn't seen yet).

The theaters here ( or at least the Ambassador Theatre) are much smaller than the LA theaters. Probably because they're much OLDER than the LA theaters. That's nice though because even though I was in the 2nd to the last row I could still see all the performers faces without binoculars (can't say that about the Ahmanson!)

Times Square on a weekend - not a place to be if you don't like crowds.

There's a large, stepped seating area above the TKTS booth in Times Square. I don't remember that being there last time we were here (about 6 years ago). I also don't remember a couple of blocks of Broadway between 45th(?) and 47th streets being blocked off to auto traffic. But then, sometimes I don't even remember what I had for breakfast so I'm not too sure about my memory. AND a lot can change in 6 years. I was tempted to go to Madame Tussaud's but we have one in Hollywood now and I have to pick and choose what I can and want to do here because I just can't do it all.

I used to watch TV on New Year's eve and think it would be so much fun to be there in Times Square. I don't think that anymore, unless I could be at a small, private party on a really high floor in one of the buildings there. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the crushing sea of people on the street

So, one more day left here in the Big Apple. The only places I haven't been to but would like to see are Central Park and Grand Central Terminal. Hopefully I'll get there tomorrow, but if not, I'll have something for my next visit. And next time I want to go to Niagra Falls. Just wasn't in the cards for this trip.

1 comment:

  1. We have to have another trip to NYC. I felt so bad that I brought you to NYC in order to thank you for being the best friend I have ever had AND to run around and have a blast New York with you. The Universe (or Steve) had other plans. We deserve another or more NYC experience.......and other experiences. I miss you and I love you. Lis

    ReplyDelete