Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Favorite Quotes


This is my desktop at work. It's a picture of comet Swan (I didn't take it, I got it off the APOD site and sorry, I don't know who did take the photo). Anyway over that background picture are quotes by fictional characters, famous people, not famous people and anonymous people that I have collected over the years. These are the quotes (in no particular order):

Life isn’t about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rainunknown
 

I think I’ll try defying gravityElfaba
 

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about thing that matter - Martin Luther King , Jr.
 
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Arthur C Clark

 
Life is zesty and worth the struggle
Neven Julius (this was pulled from an emailed birth announcement that was the most creative thing I've ever see. It was written first person POV from the newborn baby announcing his own birth.)


Faith and reason are like the shoes on your feet - you can get farther on both than just one
J. Michael Straczynski (creator of Babylon5)

 
Harry, even in the Wizarding world hearing voices is not a good thing
Hermione Granger

 
We lose our freedoms at the altar of fear
Kahil Gibran

 
Never explain yourself. You friends don’t need it and your enemies won’t believe it -
unknown


I am somehow less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops
Stephen Jay Gould (I found this while I was looking for quotes for a project at work. I don't know who SJG is, but I really liked the quote)


I’m not all here today
Cheshire Cat (this one and the Wicked Witch quote were the two that started the whole thing)

 
It’s a bitch trying to get people to like you – Scissor Sisters
(a band someone was listening to while we were driving to lunch one day)


These things must be done delicately
Wicked Witch of the West


Give us strength to understand and eyes to see. Teach us to walk the soft earth as relatives to all that live
Lakota prayer


Second star from the right and straight on till morning
Peter Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment