Saturday, May 26, 2018

Ireland adventure May 25 & 26

I went TO the airport really early! I took the Flyaway. It was Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend. Not only was there a possibility that airport would be crowded it was almost certain the freeway getting there would be. The freeway was crowded and it took about an hour and a half to get there. Surprisingly, the airport was not as crowded as I expected and I got through everything and to my gate with plenty of time to spare.

Taking off in a plane is always a magical experience for me. I know the aerodynamics of how a plane flies it's just so mind boggling that something so big CAN fly. I left LA around 7:40 pm and was treated to this lovely sunset over the ocean.

Unfortunately, I can't say the fight itself was magical or enjoyable. 10 hours sitting in a tiny seat with no way to put my feet up wasn't comfortable. The meal they served was pretty good. I dozed on and off for most of the flight. Tried reading a book. That gets tiring after a while. Unfortunately, I somehow left my Kindle on the plane. I discovered that when I went through security to get ON the fight to Dublin. I was required to take my laptop and Kindle of out my carry-on to go through security. I didn't think, at that point, that I had time to go back to the arrival gate I'd just come from. I filed a report while I was waiting to board my fight from Heathrow to Dublin. Had I known when I landed that THAT flight was going to be delayed for at least an hour I would have gone back to the arrival gate and tried to get my Kindle back. That situation was an inconvenience. At least I didn't lose my laptop and camera - THAT would have been a really bad thing!

The airport in Dublin was an interesting experience. In LA, we meet our people first on deplaning and then collect our luggage. In Dublin it's the opposite. It was surprisingly empty in Dublin airport and I followed the signs to baggage claim. But when I got down there I realized I hadn't seen Jane and I didn't know where to meet her-that's when I discovered I couldn't make calls on my cell phone. It took forever for the luggage to get unloaded and while I was waiting I asked someone who looked like a local and she told me that Jane would be waiting for me just beyond the baggage area.

I felt sorry for one young mother waiting for her luggage. Her toddler was just NOT happy (he was probably tired). He was screaming and crying, didn't want to be held, didn't want to be put down, laid on the floor and cried for a little while. She looked tired and like she wanted to cry herself. By the time the luggage finally started coming around he had calmed down. Probably wore himself out. Another woman met her and took the boy. She looked so relieved!

I collected my bag and Jane was right outside the baggage area so she was easy to find. She drove me to her place and we had a relaxing evening.

End day 1

No comments:

Post a Comment