Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Dublin, May 30


Another day on my own in Dublin so I'm off exploring. This morning was an adventure on buses. I caught the bus into City Center, got all the way there and discovered I didn't have the ticket from yesterday that I needed to ride the Hop On Hop Off bus again today. If that had been all I had left behind I wouldn't have bothered going back to the cottage. However, I also left the media card for my camera in my laptop after I downloaded the pictures last night so I wouldn't have been able to take pictures today. I got back on the bus and went back to the cottage to get these items and came back to City Center. That was about an hour's worth of traveling back and forth.

Note to self: ALWAYS check the camera before I leave the house!

 I ended up spending three hours in EPIC Irish Emigration Museum. It is a modern, immersive, fascinating place. It's housed in an old warehouse on the docks. Walking from room to room it tells individual stories of why people left Ireland (voluntarily or not).

These were some sculptures you walk around going from one room to another.



This was a beautiful metal sculpture as you start going through the museum. It has models of all the ships people would have used from the little rowboats on the bottom far right all the way up to modern cruise ships on the top right. I might go back there before I got and take a video of it to see more detail in each of the ships.


They had a lot of interactive tables. This was in a section that was all about the contributions the Irish have made to the world of sports. There were little pucks in a trough around the edges of the table with symbols on them - the olympic rings, football, etc. When you put it on the lighted ring on the table it would activate and show you photos and a little information about atheletes related to the particulare subject (here it show me Irish Olympic athletes)
.
I guess this would be the social media room. This is in a room where you can take selfies. One side of the room is wall to wall, floor to ceiling mirrors and the other wall has the TV screens you can see behind me showing various locations a people of Ireland.

I was hungry after my walk so I went into a salad and noodle place. They had Tom Kha Gai! Yeah, I know it's not Irish food but I was too hungry to choose something else. I do that. I skip meals and then get so hungry I almost can't eat. Going to try to not do that here. The soup was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment