Monday, May 28, 2018

Dublin-First Full Day May 27 & 28

Sunday, May 27

It rained on an off all day.

We drove around the area a bit and we walked out to Howth Lighthouse during a break in the rain. Mostly we just chatted and watched TV today. Just a nice relaxing day.


Monday, May 28

Jane teaches school so she had to go back to work today. I'm on my own to explore the local area until she gets home. I walked to a little commercial area about 2 miles away. Check out the grocery store. They have mostly the same kind of produce we have, but much of it was in plastic bags, not piled up in bins the way ours are. They had a lot more lamb in the market than I'm used to seeing at home. I was watching TV last night and could recognized products that we use at home but have different names here because the commercials are almost exactly the same just the product is different. There was a Starbucks in the shopping center so I went in there and had my Chai Latte and watched people go by for a bit.

The walk to and from Jane's cottage is along the Baldoyle Estuary. If I had a place like this to walk I'd probably walk every day!


When I came by here on Sunday the tide was out and there was NO water in it at all, just seaweed lying there. I'll get another video of it during low tide. Jane says that in dryer weather they can walk across this to Howth, you just have to be aware of the tides.

When Jane got off work we took the bus into city center. There are two buses that stop right near her house and she gave me schedules for both of them. I bought a cheap cell phone in the city because mine doesn't work here and I wanted to have a way to call her if anything happened and I needed help of if she wanted to meet up with me after she got home from work.

I wanted to pick up some fabric while I'm here. I have a flower garden quilt on my bed at home that I made more than 20 years ago and it's starting to fall apart. I found this lovely packet of fat quarters in the first fabric shop we went into.


I liked the greens and didn't need to get the cliche shamrock print. I'm planning to make a Tumbling Blocks quilt and can get other colors when I get home. That way I'll know that all the green pieces are the fabric I picked up in Dublin.

I also picked up a Dublin Pass. It's like a City Pass. I can ride the Hop On Hop Off bus all day and get around the city. It also gets me into different tourist places like the Guinness Brewery, Dubinina and Christ Church and others.

My plan for tomorrow is to spend the day in city doing touristy things.


No comments:

Post a Comment