Monday, November 22, 2010

Rain and Color

I had ceramics class on Saturday (it's usually on Thursday night but with Veteran's Day and Thanksgiving we lost two class days so we have to come in on Saturday). It was raining on and off most of the day. The school I'm attending started out as an agricultural community college and it retains some of that feel still - lots of trees and green areas. They still have a farm and animals (but I hear rumors that they're going to drop the Animal Science programs).

Anyway, as I said, it was raining on Saturday. One of the things I really like about the rain is what it does to trees. It makes their bark very dark and in contrast makes leaves and grass look brighter. I walked around the grounds near the classroom taking photos for a little while. Yes, I'm easily distracted, but hey, I'd been working on my clay creations pretty much non-stop for 5 hours by the time I took my photo break.
 

I wanted to shoot the clouds, but the coolest looking ones were in the direction of the sun and I wouldn't have been able to capture the subtleties of color that I was seeing.  There was also the widest, brightest rainbow I've ever seen that day! It only went up from the ground for a short way (wasn't a complete rainbow arch) but it was amazingly bright for just a couple of minutes (of course, NOT the minutes I had a camera in my hand). I did get a couple of shots, but it was fading by then.I love seeing rainbow and snow on the mountaintops.

Taking pictures on a rainy day can be quite beautiful. I took some when I was down in San Diego this past February (see dates Feb 1 and 14). The lights and buildings were reflecting off the streets. I thought it was cool anyway. So don't let the rain keep you from taking pictures. Get a raincoat for your camera and you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment