Sunday, November 21, 2010

My Fish is Done!

A little history of how it came to be:

 It started out life as a pinch pot (two pinch pots, actually, seamed together to get the body shape. Then I added the fins (top, back, sides, bottom) and the base. This is covered in colored slip (colored liquid clay) and has not been through its first firing (bisque fire) yet. The clay is B mix with sand.


Now it has been through the first firing. I added the anemone fingers before it was fired. The fingers and base are now coated in wax so they will not take the glaze I'm going to put only on the fish.  I want the fish to be shiny, but not the base. The wax will burn away in the next firing.

This piece actually cracked in the first firing where the fish joins the base because I didn't join them properly. However, since it broke where it did, the glaze will fuse it together again.


And here is the finished piece. The fish is all shiny and the base and fingers are the rough, unglazed clay. I like the texture contrast and the glaze makes the fish look wet. It is about 7 inches from nose to tail and just over 6 inches tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment