Sunday, November 7, 2010

First Pot

This is my first completely finished pot from my current ceramics class. It's a pinch pot. It's ugly! This was just a practice pot to get used to manipulating the clay and to practice techniques. It was also a test pot to try out slips and glazes.

I've been enjoying this class. I'm much better at making 3 dimensional things than I am drawing to this comes easier to me than my illustration class.

My clown fish is glazed and should be baking in the kiln as I write this.I had taken photos yesterday of it with the unfired glaze and wax resist covering it, but somehow all those photos have just vanished. No class this coming week as Thursday is Veteran's Day and therefor a school holiday.

I have my final project in progress. We had to go to LACMA and see ceramics exhibition to get an inspiration piece then build our piece using at least 3 of the techniques we've learned this semester - pinch pot, slab, coiling, slump molds. We have to add a foot and a handle and use the decorating techniques we've learned. I'm also working on a dragon coming out of an egg - that was the coiling assignment. Plus I have a bunch of cups to make.

Lot's of work to do this month!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment