Saturday, March 6, 2010

Trapeze School at Santa Monica Pier

Did you know there's a Trapeze School at the Santa Monica Pier? http://losangeles.trapezeschool.com
I don't know how long they've been there but I discovered it today. Very cool! This photo is an instructor (catcher) and a student (flier). This was her last try of the day and they didn't make the catch. However, the student is in a safety harness which is controlled by a spotter on the ground so even though she missed she landed safely in the net.


Even though I have a fear of heights I think I'd like to try this. It might be fun. I will be going back in the summer time with a longer telephoto lens.


This is looking south from the pier. I think that might be Catalina Island out there.
It was pouring rain in the valley when I left this morning. I was supposed to meet a Street Photography meet-up group on the pier at 11. Never did catch up with them. They were talking on the web site about not going because of the weather. If they didn't come, they missed a really nice morning there. It wasn't raining and there were beautiful clouds for background. I took about 70 shots on the pier and under it.

The pier is much cleaner than it used to be when I hung out there in the 70s & 80s. I remember when the shooting gallery (with bb's, not lasers) gave away a case of beer for winning. Times have changed. I have some beautiful black and white photos of the underside of the pier before they added the new parking lot and concrete pylons.
I would have taken shots from the top of the Ferris wheel but they wouldn't let me ride alone. :( What, do they think I'm going to jump out? Unlikely with a new camera hanging off my neck! Guess I'll just have to take another body with me next time.

I'm glad I didn't let the rain stop me. It was a nice morning and I got some great pictures..

No comments:

Post a Comment