Sunday, July 10, 2016

Trees!

Ok, I freely admit that I'm a tree hugger. Deal with it!
Trees are as individual as people and as open to imagination as clouds. I very often see faces or animals in the shapes, textures or colors of trees. Follow me down the rabbit hole...


Not sure if the twisty part is natural or man made, but I like this shape. If you saw the pictures from Japanese Garden Part II, this was at the end of the path shown in that post.



Even trees like to look at their own reflection. I think this one was taken at the Hunting Library and Botanical Gardens.


Remember how I said I see faces in the trees? Do you see the angry monster?



Wounded Willow. There was a branch here recently. I wonder if the hole is the result of a disease or an animal.


 The palm tree is covered in these around it's whole trunk. This one makes me laugh. Depending on my mood I see eyes or nipples.



While nice straight trees can be majestic and impressive, tress like this have a lot of character.




Owl, obviously.



the variety of ways trees reproduce is quite amazing to me. If a tree produces a huge amount of seeds it's because most of them will be eaten by animals. These seeds are intended to drop straight down and grow right beside the parent tree. Other trees have very light seeds that float on the wind and can be carried quite far from the parent tree.

I heard someone on the radio last year talking about how plants and trees are fruiting and flowering abundantly here in California for the last couple of years. This person said that because we've been having a drought for the last 4 years the plants and trees are over producing seed in a last ditch effort to ensure their survival.


 Texture, color, shape. Can't you just feel it?



This is one of the roots of the previous tree. Much smoother texture. Possibly from being walked on?


Sometimes I take pictures like this to use as background texture on design projects.


This was either a detail of the same tree or one near it. I'm pretty sure it's eucalyptus. When they shed their bark what is left looks (to me) like human skin.


I could go on and on about trees. And I probably will in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment