Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Treasure

This is treasure from my Mendocino trip - shells, and sea glass. No jewels and gold in my treasure chest (although that would be really useful). I love shells, rocks, bits of driftwood or anything that calls to me. With an entire beach to choose from these must have been very special. I like them for their colors, or shapes. All of the shells are broken but that just adds to their character.

I might make jewelry from some of them. If I spray them with a sealer that will bring out all the lovely colors on them that are more vibrant when they're wet. The almost transparent piece of sea glass in the near center is frosted and translucent white when dry (these are all sitting in a bowl of water for the photo).



 The shell at the very top, slightly left of center has bands of yellow, silverish pearl, and very dark brown, black or blue. Such beautiful, rich colors!
Yeah, this one! Not a very good picture. Maybe I'll take a better one over the weekend.




 This one looks like a bird beak!

This one has some beautiful colors as well and is floating around in my brain trying to figure out how to be a necklace.



I believe these are pieces of milk glass.
People used to throw their dishware in the dump (hopefully only the broken pieces). Milk glass used to be much more common than it is now. I remember my grandmother had a milk glass pitcher and a hobnail glass bowl when I was a kid. I only see these in antique stores and thrift stores now.

So, these are the treasures I brought back from my trip. For now they're residing on my fireplace mantle along with all the other bits of things I pick up here and there.



No comments:

Post a Comment