Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Everybody's Going Somewhere

If you need a reference point for this photo, it was taken in the hills above the Los Angeles Zoo looking east as the 134 freeway heads into Glendale and points beyond. There's a good deal more snow than usual in those mountains. It's now early February and I think the Angeles Crest Highway is still closed.

This was taken a couple of weekends ago, after almost a week straight of rain, this sunny, cloudless weekend was a welcome blessing!  And walking in the hills above the zoo was the perfect way to spend the day.  If I stood still and closed my eyes, I could almost pretend that the sounds coming from the freeway were actually ocean waves. You should try that some time - listen to familiar sounds and see how much like other sounds they are. Next time it rains, listen to how the rain sounds. To me it sounds a lot like bacon frying in a pan (I learned that from an episode of MASH except I think Hawkeye said it sounded like a steak frying - who says you don't learn anything from TV?).

It was wonderful to feel the sun on my skin, to breathe in the clean smells of the earth. I've lived in this area all my life and have never walked the trails here. Now that I know what I've been missing, I will surely go back. To escape from the city for a while and not have to drive for hours to get there - such a deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment