Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Things We Never Know


This is my great aunt, my maternal grandmother's sister. She was what people call a "formidable" woman. I was always very intimidated by her. She was one of those people who had an immaculate house and plastic covers on the arms of her couch and chairs. It wasn't that she was mean to us, she wasn't, she just wasn't a warm, fuzzy person.

So imagine my surprise when I saw this photo when I was going through my grandmother's possessions after she passed. I know nothing about what she or my grandmother were like when they were teenagers. I believe they were both in their early 20s when they got married and started their families. This photo says so much and also brings a lot of questions - first and foremost - What in the world is she doing in a wheelbarrow?
It's obvious from the photo that she had a playful streak and a sense of humor. This is a side of her I didn't know anything about. My grandmother used to organize trips for seniors and this was one of their fall trips to a pumpkin farm I believe.

I really like this photo (I didn't take the photo, I think my grandmother did). To me it says volumes about who this woman was.

No comments:

Post a Comment