Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

I have a bit of a fear of heights, so this was one of those occasions where I had to screw up my courage to walk out to the edge to take a photo. Of course there are rails all around where I was standing so I would have really had to try hard to fall in. It was VERY windy the day I took this photo - VERY WINDY!!!! That also was very scary, I felt like I was going to get pushed over the side any minute by a gust of wind. But I did stand out there for a little bit and take in this amazing view. My mom told me later when we were walking back to the car that there was a ledge below us on one side where there were all these hats that had blown down there. Maybe next time I'll get that photo!

That's the thing about fears and phobias - we almost all have them and it's what we do in spite of them that makes us who we are. If I let my fear of heights (or small spaces) stop me, I would miss out on a lot of wonderful opportunities. I don't think I will ever have the courage to go sky diving. I think I could enjoy the experience of hang gliding (not sure about that one yet) but I definitely would go up in a hot air balloon and take pictures from up there. I think that would be great and I could probably be OK with the height thing, since I'm in a basket and reasonably safe from falling overboard. Not, big, brave things, I know, but I think life is about doing things in spite of your fears and not letting them stop you, cause most of the things we're afraid of aren't real anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment