Monday, October 26, 2009

Happy Times

Just spent the evening with my niece at Disneyland. We went twice on Tower of Terror and twice on the California Screamin'. We watched the fireworks from the top level of the parking lot (accompanied by the sound track of car alarms). Then went back to Disneyland and waited a long time to go on Space Mountain, which has been temporarily altered for the Halloween season. The changes are ok, but nothing special. It's still a ride I think is best experienced with eyes closed and just listen to the music, feel the wind rushing past you and tune into the physical sensations of the ride. They've got this light show going on on the outside of space mountain that's pretty awesome to watch while you're waiting in line though.

She's 15 and she thinks I'm funny ("laugh with me" funny, but also, "your so weird" funny). She has two (much) older brothers whom I wasn't around much when they were growing up. They lived out of state when they were little and when they came back to California I was having my 20 something messed up life crisis and wasn't much interested in associating with my family. We (the boys and I) have bonded over the years, but not as much, I think, as I have with Ana. I don't know, maybe it's a "girl thing". I love them all, but Ana and I seem to do more stuff together.

I always made sure they all knew I was there for them while they were growing up. Some times kids just can't talk about stuff with their parents and they know they can talk to me about anything. I won't always give them the answers they want to hear, but I will listen. They know that my place is a "safe house" for them if they needed it. The boys are old enough they don't need that now, still the offer is always there for her.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun at Disneyland tonight playing around, having fun and just being goofy.

The photo is an architectural detail on a hotel in Santa Monica I saw last weekend. I thought it was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment